Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Do It Yourself! (It's so much cheaper...)

I completed the first (of many) projects that I have in mind for our new place last night. I'm so proud of it! It was very easy, and it only cost me about $18, which includes the fact that I didn't already have brushes or a paint dish and paint. Here's what I started out with:

(Board, paint, and ribbon from Michael's; knobs from Home Depot)
I painted the top of the board first, then the sides. All parts got at least 2 coats to make sure that the paint didn't get soaked into the wood too much and distort the tone. Once it dried, I sprayed it with a clear coat, which only took about 30 minutes to dry to the touch. I used Gorilla Glue to attached the knobs and ribbons, which completed the look:


(I'll hang it by the ribbon with a dark nail)
I plan on hanging it in the bathroom at our new place, and I'll use it to organize all my necklaces. My necklaces currently hang on a coat/belt/scarf thing, and it drives my husband nuts. He's much happier with this solution :-) I'd like to carry the color theme all throughout the bathroom. I'm thinking that I'll use the same paint to do some diamond boards to hang above the toilet. Maybe in a polka dot or stripe pattern!

My next project will probably be a place to hang our keys. We've got a shelving unit from Ikea that I absolutely LOVE, and I'd like to use our initials above it. I'll probably paint the letters below, and either hang them above or arrange them on a shelf with hooks for the keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment